Telephone Interview Tips
Before you are called in for a face-to-face meeting, some companies like to go through a telephone interview . This type of job interview presents many challenges. Since you can't see the interviewers facial expressions or body language, it can be hard to determine how well you are doing. It can also be very difficult to understand people over the phone. If you are to take that next step toward getting a job, you must master this sometimes uncomfortable task. Here are some tips to make it a little easier:
- Write down a list of questions you want to ask. Here's the bonus of interviewing over the phone: You can keep this list in front of you as you talk. As you address each question, you can check them off your list.
- Conduct the interview in a place where there will be the least amount of noise. That means staying away from the TV and other people you live with. The nature of everyday life means it's almost impossible to avoid all noises, but you can minimize the affect they have on your interview. If there's one place you should avoid at all costs it's the outside. Make sure you are indoors when the call comes.
- Avoid talking like you would to your best friend. That means not using slang or other informal language. Phone interviews may be casual, but this is still a professional conversation, so you have to treat it that way.
- Make sure you are not lounging around when you speak. Even though you can't be seen, this type of body language can affect your speech. You have to be as enthusiastic as possible when you are talking.
- Don't call back at the end of the interview if you realized you forgot something. If it's something very important, make a note of it and bring it up again if you are lucky enough to get called in for a face-to-face interview.
- Don't forgot to send a thank you note 24 hours after your interview!
Think of the telephone interview as the last barrier between you and the employer. If you follow these tips and are sufficiently impressive, you will give yourself the best possible chance to succeed.